Family Law Attorney

Issues may arise in family law where there is a question as to the laws of the jurisdiction that apply to the marriage relationship or to custody and divorce, and whether a divorce or child custody order is recognized under the laws of another jurisdiction.

Blended Families Lawyer

Sometimes families consist of children from the wife or husband’s prior marriage(s) after a divorce and, perhaps, children that they have together. You may be in a second or later marriage, with such children, and step-children, and I call these situations “blended families” because they may present special circumstances such that you may benefit from a Trust. Each situation is unique, so if you have such a family, please give me a call to discuss whether you would benefit from a Trust or Family Limited Liability Company.


About Us

Welcome to COASTWIDE Law where we are dedicated to supplying “stress ease” instead of just speaking “legalese.”  Whatever you are facing, it is likely that we have “been there before;” therefore, allow our experience and expertise to eliminate your stress.

Conservatorships / Interdiction are legal proceedings where another person is appointed over the person to help, usually by controlling their assets and/or medical decisions. If you notice any of the above signs, please contact us to discuss how you can help and protect your loved one.

Power of Attorney

People often request a legal document called a “Power of Attorney” (“POA”) where they name someone else to act on their behalf or they put someone else’s name on their financial accounts. We can draft a Power of Attorney, but I want to warn of a couple of dangers associated with putting someone’s name on your financial accounts or a POA document. First, if you put someone’s name on your account or give them the power to control your financial accounts in a POA, it is the same as giving that person ownership of the account. That person can do anything that you can do with your assets, including withdraw all of your money. Second, more banks are refusing to accept or honor Power of Attorney documents; therefore, if that is the only document that you have executed, you may not have an effective document to allow someone to help you with your finances when you need it. I recommend, therefore, that elderly people use safer alternatives such as a Trust, Conservatorship/Curatorship, or even a Family Limited Liability Company to handle their assets. These legal mechanisms are discussed in more detail below, but they limit the potential for loss of your assets and help you to keep maximum assets. Further, such legal mechanisms allow you to maintain control in that they allow you to provide for a plan of action if you become disabled.